Friday, August 15, 2008

Brandon London still doing well with the Giants


I did a quick check of Bob McGovern's UMass All-Sports Blog "Between Mullins and McGuirk" and I don't think he covered this story.

I was channel surfing Wednesday and hit a replay of Sunday's Giants-Lions game. Brandon London led all Giants receivers and had a great catch.

The Giants write up is here .

Relevant quote from the story: "

So was the play London made on the Giants’ touchdown drive. On third-and-two from the Detroit 40, he took a short Carr pass, broke two tackles and bulled his way to the 11 for a 29-yard gain.

“I thought Brandon London made an outstanding play,” Coughlin said. “He showed some real enthusiasm and some real desire to get to the end zone with the ball. I liked what I saw with the way he played tonight.”

London, a free agent from Massachusetts, spent the entire 2007 season on the Giants’ practice squad. Although the Giants began camp with a deep cast of receivers that includes several high draft choices, he believes he can earn a promotion.

“I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time,” London said. “This year, my goal is to not be on the practice squad. My goal is to make the 53-man roster and slowly build off of that. Any chance that comes my way I have to make that play. I want to make sure the quarterbacks keep their confidence in me and that’s going to make the coaches keep their confidence.”

London led the Giants wide receivers with three catches for 46 yards, but it was his long gain that garnered the most attention.

“I wanted the end zone,” London said. “When I got back to the sideline everyone was making fun of me, because I should have broke that last tackle. To tell you the truth, I was kind of tired. But that was my chance to make a play to stand out and that’s what I was going to do. David Carr put a nice ball there, so you have to catch it.”

YouTube has the game highlights. London's catch comes at about the 2:35 point.