Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Two year UMass Football Captains

One of he nice things about running the UMass Football Blog is meeting former UMass players and coaches. Earlier this year I exchanged e-mails with former UMass player and Coach Jerry Gordon.

His 1981 Captain's image is in the UMass Historical section of this blog. Gordon walked on to the football team and was the last lineman chosen. He told me "I worked hard, and good things happened." Gordon ended up being one of the few two year UMass Captains.

This year, the UMass players elected Junior Brandon Collier one of 2008's captains. So he has a chance to join a select few UMass players who have been two-year captains. I went through the UMass historical roster twice and did not find a three year captain.

UMass Two-Year Captains:
  • Bill Durkin '92,'93
  • Jerry Gordon '81,'82
  • Ed McAleny "74,"75
  • Khari Samuel "97,'98
  • Serge Tikum "04,"05
  • Brandon Collier '08,?
Did I miss anyone?