Monday, July 04, 2011

Fourth of July--2011






Mrs Blog and I would like to wish everyone a safe and happy Fourth. Hope you're having a nice weekend.

One football story: there has been some talk on various message boards about Temple leaving the MAC for the Big East. The College Football Examiner takes a look at that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a holiday-related note, the Wall Street Journal has a story about one of the families of a deployed soldier.

If you should see a World War II vet, make a point of shaking his hand, their numbers are dwindling. When I moved to Jaffrey in 2004 my next door neighbor was a WW II Navy vet. He was on the USS Chicago during the second of "Halsey's Typhoons". The storm ripped 120 feet of the bow off his ship. I was on a destroyer and spent some time in the North Atlantic, but I can't imagine a sea state that would rip a bow off a heavy cruiser. This WW II newsreel has film of the incident. My neighbor passed away a couple of years ago.