Losses for 2010:
- Jeromy Miles-Walter Camp All-American, All-New England, First Team All-CAA, 47 career starts including all 36 games at UMass, third on the team in 2009 with 62 TT.
- Cory Davis- Started all 11 games in 2009, led team with 6 BrUps, 24 TT.
- Ke'Mon Bailey-RS SR, played in 11 games-10 starts, 38 TT, 5 BrUp, 4.5-15 TFL
- Woody Carter IV JR Played in last seven games-0 starts, 4 TT
- James Carven RS SR-Played in 8 games-0 starts, 8 TT
- David Cozzo RS SR- Played in all 11 games-0 starts, 8 TT, 1 TFL
- Kumar Davis RS SOPH-Played in 9 games-1 start, 26 TT, 2 TFL, 1 INT
- Tory Esalomi RS SR-Played in all 11 games-0 starts, 3 TT, also returned kick-offs.
- Darren Thellen RS SOPH-Played in 11 games- 7 starts, 8th on team in TT (38), 1 INT
- Shane Viveiros RS JR-Played in 7 games-4 starts, 2 TFL, 1 INT
- Warren Wilson RS JR-Played in all 11 games-0 starts, 8 TT
I would think Viveiros and Thellen will be the SS and FS respectively. KeMon Bailey should return to his starting postion at one corner. Esalomi, Cozzo, Wilson and Carven are candidates for the remaining CB position. We do return four players who had starts in 2009.
I need to see the RS FR play in the Spring Game to form any opinions on them. Despite the loss of Miles, I think the 2010 edition of the UMass defensive backfield should be pretty good. The unit needs to play every game and avoid meltdowns like Delaware and Hofstra.