Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Any transfers in the works?

This would be the time that UMass should be getting letters from BCS/I-A players wanting to transfer. Usually, after the Spring Game, the player realizes that he is buried in the depth chart.

In my write up of the Spring Game I said "The roster given out at the scrimmage lists 66 active players. Since FCS/I-AA rules allows 63 scholarships spread over 85 players, it appears we have a couple of scholarships to give even with the recruits coming in."

Wonder if we have anything in the works. We are thin at TE, FB and LB.

This article states that I-A transfers may be getting scarcer .

That article does not make a lot a sense to me. If a player wants to leave, how could the I-A school stop him. I know the school does not have to sign a release, but if the player leaves, what good does it do the I-A school?

The Hampton Pirates' recruiting class has 13 out of 15 recruits from I-A transfers or JUCO.