Monday, June 04, 2007

College football recruiting


Probably no other topic I post about generates more e-mails to me or more comments about blog posts.

I just read the book "Signing Day" by Clark & Schoffield. Pretty good read about the pressures on high school football players in the modern age.

It covers the years 2003-2004. Matt Dougherty published an excellent look back at the promenent 2004 I-AA/FCS recruits back in Febuary. It shows how much recruiting is an inexact science. Back in 20o4, Tony Moss was covering FCS/I-AA recruiting. Of his "TopTen" recruits to sign with a I-AA team, only only one ended up making All-League. His list of 26 potential All-Stars fared even worse.

Bob Albright of the Eagle-Tribune here in New England covers college recruiting from the coach's perspective.