Sunday, January 07, 2007

UConn Dumps Navy

The evil UConn Huskies have backed out of a four year commitment to play Navy. That leaves openings for both schools. Navy already plays a I-AA school for the next four years, so I don't think they would be open to play us. Too bad---- the Navy game was a great atmosphere.

On the same token, I think it would be a frosty day in Hades that UConn would play us. A UMass-UConn football game would generate a lot of New England interest. The Huskies have played Maine, Northeastern and Rhode Island, but somehow can't seem to find us.

Sorta like what happened in basketball when Calipari was here... In a way, it's a great compliment to UMass football. They don't want any part of a Don Brown coached team. Last UMass-UConn meeting 62-22 for us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that a UMass-UConn game would be great as it would re-kindle a great rivalry and would give UMass another regional Div. 1 (bowl subdivision)team to play besides BC. I'd be surprised to see UConn go for it though. Too many bad memories for the Huskies. Any word on permanent lights for McGuirk? Enjoyed meeting you in 'Nooga. Go Minutemen!

UMass74 said...

I never thought I'd be saying this, but kudos to Boston College's Athletic Director. He's been playing a I-AA New England team every year.

The cash-strapped I-AA's really appreciate that. The Eagles did not have to do that. Since BC is a bus trip, the majority of the $$$ is profit for the I-AA.

AFAIK, the lights are still coming in 2008. Nothing official yet.

I had a great time talking with all the UMass fans at 'Noogna. Good to hear from you. Stop by frequently.

umassfan said...

I am told we have a game set up with UConn in the future.

07 BC
08 Texas Tech
09 Kansas State
10 BC
11 or 12 UConn

UMass74 said...

UMassFan:

That's great news! A whole bunch of UMass people will make the trip to Hartford for that game.!