Wednesday, January 31, 2007

One week to letter-of-intent day

One week to go until the 2007 class of recruits is signed.

UMass picked up what could be the top recruit in I-AA when Matt Vautour confirmed that Navy safety Jeromy Miles has transferred to UMass (scroll to middle of article). I've blogged about him before (scroll down).

UMass will use another scholarship on 6-7 270 pd Ben Coblyn who has transferred from BU.

Also re-joining the Minutemen this year is Bryan Smith. He was a highly rated recruit who had received a number of I-A offers.

Not listed on this year's roster is Victor Cruz, who was ineligible last year. If he returns, he would be an impact player for the 2007 Minutemen. Originally recruited in 2005, he was probably the top-rated recruit of that class.

I-AA allows 63 scholarships spread over a maximum of 85 players, so the "ideal" class is 17 recruits. Next week at this time, we will know how Coach Brown spent his remaining scholarships.

UPDATE: As you know, I have only one non-football site in my "links" sidebars. It's Dave Berry's website. Please read this story because A -- it's about football and B-- he still cracks me up. Dave Berry goes to Super bowl Media Day .