Thursday, November 29, 2018

UMass Football News--November 29th, 2018

UPDATE:

As a Gridiron member, I received the following message from AD Ryan Bamford:

"Dear Gridiron Members,
 
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving season. 
 
I've received some feedback and questions over the last week from many of you, the public, and the media regarding our search process to find the next leader for the UMass Football Program.  I wanted to share my thought process with you regarding this very important search.
 
Prior to my arrival at UMass, the department often employed head coach search committees to assist in the head coach selection process. In my four years in Amherst, we have had a number of coaching searches that have followed this model which included broad participation from campus and community members. Specifically, our men's cross country, field hockey, women's soccer, women's tennis and baseball searches involved interview sessions and ultimately input from a number of constituent groups prior to making a hire. Conversely, when we conducted searches that yielded Greg Carvel (ice hockey), Tory Verdi (women's basketball) and Matt McCall (men's basketball) we limited the people associated with the search to maintain confidentiality and work efficiently through our recruiting efforts, interviews, candidate selection and contract negotiations in a quiet and effective manner.   
 
Based on our success in those searches and some additional reasons listed below, I've chosen to conduct the search process on my own with a small group of people consulting me, all who shall remain anonymous. Ultimately, I will select the next leader for UMass Football and will ask our Chancellor to accept my recommendation when the process nears completion.  
 
Please understand that I value the input I receive daily from people who care about UMass Athletics. I also see value in including people in our selection process for our next head coach but it is not always in the best interest of the process. At our level of Division I athletics, it is taxing to have a well-run confidential search that ensures the right hire and keeps all of our constituents happy.  That said, I am pleased that in the last 10 days I have secured feedback from many of you regarding the attributes you desire in our next head coach. This feedback has been crucial as I form the profile for our next head coach.  I can't thank those individuals enough for offering their insights and positive encouragement during this process.  
 
I decided to run the basketball, hockey and now football searches with a small group for a number of reasons. First, the confidentiality of the search is vitally important, and the conversations that I have with potential coaches must remain private.  For example, I would not have been able to secure Greg Carvel from St. Lawrence without a high-degree of confidentiality during that process.  It was important to Greg that his name not become public, and he only had meetings with myself and Chancellor Subbaswamy during his offline visits to Amherst. As a sitting head coach, I wanted to protect him so that if we did not come to terms of employment at UMass, it did not jeopardize Greg at St. Lawrence.  
 
In addition, I need to be extremely nimble during this search process. I've been on/off airplanes a great deal this last week, and will continue to do-so throughout this weekend and possibly in to next week.  Because of this, it would be hard to mobilize a multi-person committee to fly across the country recruiting candidates and holding interviews on such short notice.  Most of my time meeting with candidates will be outside Western Massachusetts. This is standard practice for a job with this profile and intensified timeline.    
 
Also, with the increase in activity on social media and all the "unnamed" sources willing to share information, whether accurate or not, I felt it would be best taking the sole lead on this search, and not share any details until an agreement is finalized. 
 
I can't give you a specific timeline at this point for when we'll make the hire, just know that I'm working as hard as I can to find the best leader for the UMass Football Program.  I want to make all of you that have invested in this program proud of the man we bring to Amherst. 
 
Thank you for your understanding during this pursuit. I look forward to introducing the next coach to you very soon!
 
Please feel free to share any additional thoughts or feedback with me directly at rbamford@umass.edu."
 
Thank you, and Go UMass!
 
Ryan Bamford
 
 Note that I'm NOT going e-mail Mr. Bamford. What can I say? Hire a winning coach. He knows that. If I were to contact him, I would say that I support him and the UMass football program.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Andy Isabella wins the Harry Agganis/Harold Zimman Award. If you've never read it: The Harry Agganis story.

Hogs Haven still thinks UMass is in the MAC, but does a good job of covering Isabella's game against Georgia.

Pro Football Focus looks at the top performances by players from the 46 non-bowl eligible teams.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Underdog Dyansty looks at Maine's Joe Harasymiak as a candidate for the UMass head coaching position.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UConn's Daily Campus writers debate the low point of the the Huskies season. Several of them quote to loss to UMass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------