In the run to the National Championship game it was easy to overlook the great performances it took to get us there. In a previous blog entry I took a look at Liam Coen's 2006 performance .
This time we'll consider the impact Steve Baylark made in 2006.
- His 235 yards against Rhode Island was the 10th all time single game total (dropping Jerome Bledsoe's 226 against Richmond in 1991 off the list)
- His 338 season carries was 3rd all time (he now holds three of the top ten season carries records---2006, 2003 and 2005)
- Baylark's 1,104 career carries places him 2nd behind Marcel Shipp's 1,215
- Baylark's 130.7 yards/game was 6th all time for a UMass running back
- His 15 TDs in 2006 ties him with Garry Pearson (1980) and Paul Metallo (1972)
- Baylark's 42 career TD's places him 3rd all time behind Rene Ingoglia's 54
- His 1,960 yards in 2006 places him first in yearly total for a senior (over Garry Pearson's 1,631 in 1982)
- Baylark's 5,332 career yards places him 2nd all time to Marcel Ship's 6,250
All in all, a great performance for Steve and the 2006 Minutemen!
UPDATE: A reader named Football1 has amended a very good comment. Please take time to read it.