Tuesday, February 21, 2006

UMass drops AIC from schedule adds I-AA Stony Brook

Good News! The UMass Athletic Dept has just announced that UMass has been able to add I-AA Stony Brook to the 2006 schedule instead of DII AIC.

The Sea Wolves were co-champions of the Northeast Conference.

No disrespect intended to the Yellow Jackets. This move helps UMass in its quest to make the I-AA playoffs. DII teams do not count towards the necessary seven I-AA wins to be eligible for the playoffs.

With a I-A game (Navy) and a DII game, UMass would have to go 8-1 against the rest of the 2006 schedule even to get an at large bid (unless we should win the A10 and get the auto bid). Playing 10 I-AA games does not require near perfection in order to get a playoff slot.

Kudos to the Athletic Dept for this astute move.

UPDATE 02/22/06: The Springfield Republican has an article on the switch here.