Monday, November 08, 2021

UMass Football News--November 8th, 2021

 ESPN reports after a 2-23 run Coach Bell is let go.

MassLive says Coach Bell fired after loss to Rhode Island.

CBS Sports reports Bell was let go after a double-digit loss to Rhode Island.

The Athletic (paywalled) offers some thoughts on the coaching change.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GoLocalProv reports URI scored huge upset over FBS UMass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I come from a long line of non-management types, so it always sets my teeth on edge when someone loses their job. However, it's the way of the world in coaching. Hopefully, the administration will get serious and right the ship with UMass football.

As I have said many times here, schools like Southern Alabama, Liberty and Coastal Carolina have moved to FBS and thrived. They can do it and we can't? The UMass fans I've talked to are fairly reasonable in what they want. We don't aspire to go to the Rose Bowl. We want a team we can follow. Be as good as other Group-of-Five teams. That's not a lot to ask.  

I think Coach Miller, Coach Tudryn and Coach Reid are quality coaches. My apologies  to the other coaches as I've never interacted with them. Hopefully, the new head coach will consider keeping some of them.

I hope Coach Miller appoints Coach Reid as defensive coordinator for the rest of the season. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the coaching search, I'm not in the college football coaching world, so I don't have a favorite candidate. We've tried three offensive coaches. I've always thought the shortest distance to respectability is defense, but I'll support any coach that can bring us back.

Brandon C. Hall of Substack thinks UMass should bring back Don Brown

A coach comfortable with football in the Northeast would be the best fit. 

The UMass community should be involved and included in the search. Send an e-mail to the Powers-that-Be saying we need to get it right this time...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------