Wednesday, October 07, 2020

UMass Football News--October 7th, 2020

 Mike Moran of the Gazette has a post on UMass' recent scrimmage gives Coach Bell insight into the Minutemen depth chart.

Bell mentioned freshman LB's Gerrell Johnson and Abdoul Kone, Myles Turner.

Bell also mentioned freshman DL Viczaril Alobwede and Senior DL Avien Peah's ability to play at several positions on the d-line.

He also mentioned RB Ellis Merriweather being impressive and big and fast.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I got a phone call from UMass saying "Frank, the entire coaching staff has been kidnapped by terrorists from Carjackistan and the terrorists are demanding two pounds of enriched uranium each to give them back and the state dept won't comply, so we want you to install your offense! Save us!", I'd do the following:

I'd play a dual-threat QB with a "10" base personal package (i.e. one running back and zero TE's). That would mean four WR's.

Because..

If I'm an opposing defensive coordinator I'm thinking "I'm going to stop Merriweather. UMass ain't got anything else".


With four wideouts, the opposing defense can't play eight-in-the-box to load up on Merriweather. At QB I'd play someone who can run like Zamar Wise or Garrett Dzuro. The opposing defense is going to be keying on Merriweather anyway, so I'd have the QB put the ball in his stomach and look to see if Merriweather has any room to roll. If not, I'd pull it out and have the QB run (or throw).

At WR I'd have "OC" Johnson, Cam Roberson, Dariyan Wiley, and Samuel Emilus. And I'd have one of those guys in motion on every play.

If I needed more blocking I'd play TE Taylor Edwards (he's the only UMass TE over 230). For a two-TE set I'd add freshman Jackson Manning.

On the offensive line I'd play Larnel Coleman and Bruce Wade as my OT's. Dalton Tomlison at center. At guard I'd have Reggie Marks III and Michael Sullivan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------