Tuesday, September 22, 2020

UMass Football News--September 22nd, 2020

 Wait. What !? Late last week we say in print UMass will likely play UConn in the Spring and then get ready for 2021. So I do a post saying that adding additional games in the Spring will be tough to do.

I had some things to do yesterday and I returned home about 4:00 pm and decided to get a couple of miles on the treadmill before supper. I'm watching Georgia State-Louisiana replay on the TV with the sound off and listening to Metallica's "Ride the Lighting" album at brain frying volume on my ear buds (it's OK, I'm already pretty deaf). The ESPNU news crawl at the bottom says "UMass will play games in 2020". What was that??? Every time I think 2020 can't get any weirder...

Anyway, it's true and a very good thing for the program. Playing one game between November 2019 and September of 2021 would really hamper the program's development. In addition, UMass will be back in sync with the rest of college football.

I don't know how many games we'll play, but if I were coach I'd play everyone in the program that's healthy and eligible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


UMass announcement. 

The Berkshire Eagle says UMass reacts to a changing environment

MassLive reports UMass reverses course and will play football in 2020.

The Boston Herald says UMass is back on the gridiron.

Mike Traini has a good post over on "Fight Massachusetts".

Lots of other media links available, but basically they're just reprinting the UMass press release.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah! We can talk about actual football pretty soon. There are probably more twists and turns to come. Could we get a replacement Power Five game? That would really turn the financial situation around.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------