Thursday, April 05, 2012

Thursday--April 5th, 2012

The first half of the April 28th Spring Game will be varsity against alumni. A number of former UMass players will be on hand for one more appearance at McGuirk.

I had an e-mail from Jason Cherry, who recently ended a successful career in arena football. I've blogged about Jason a number of times in the past.

He'll be at the Spring game. He also had part as an extra in the next Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises".

From his e-mail:

"Last August 6th they shot the Dark Knight Rises batman movie in Pittsburgh and they called me and other former professional football guys for a scene shot at Heinz field.  Though I was just standing on sidelines in uniform, I was placed on the Gotham City Rogues team with 10 of the Pittsburgh Steelers as Gotham's kicker wearing #1.  Bill Cowher was also the coach for Gotham City.

 We had a fitting in the locker room at heinz field under the code name Magnus Rex so that media wouldn't hound the sets.  On the fitting day they dressed by position and the guys ahead of me were given equipment and uniforms for the team, the Rapid City Monuments. When I was called I was told I would the kicker for Gotham City.  In fact the real mayor of Pittsburgh Luke Ravenstahl who was a kicker at Washington and Jefferson college got to kick a kickoff with that team to Gotham City Rogues returner real Pittsburgh Steeler Hines Ward. Hines runs the kickoff the whole way and as he scores, Bane the villian blows up the entire field with explosives leaving nothing left.  Myself and the rest of Gotham players cheered like he was returning it for real then they yelled cut.  This all came with 10,000 volunteers who showed up as Gotham City football fans.
  I had my own locker with my name on it and I was given #1 and it said Gotham on the front of my jersey. It does not say my name on the back however, though Ben Roethlisberger, Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu and Hines Ward have their names and actual numbers for Gotham.  Ironically, the uniforms are also black and gold
."

Hope we have a big turnout for the spring  game!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scout.com looks at the head coaches of the MAC East and gives Coach Molnar a positive review.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rivals.com looks at the MAC and does a spring preview of UMass.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victor Cruz advances to the final eight for the cover of Madden 2013.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------