I read this article about one man's ten best college football experiences and I started thinking about my ten best UMass football memories. This list only contains games that I was actually in attendance.
- Attending the National Championship game against Appalachian State in Chattanoogna.
- Attending the 1978 27-0 win over Boston College and the largest ever crowd (20,000) at McGuirk.
- Being at the 1996 UMass-UConn game at McGuirk. UMass was down 38-19 with twelve minutes to play. UMass TE Eric Henry catches a Jeff Smith pass with 31 seconds left for a UMass win 39-38. Greatest comeback in UMass history.
- The Fly0ver at the Navy game. Two S-3's go over the stadium 500 feet up. And UMass played great football. The UMass band wows the Navy crowd.
- Being at the BU game at Nickerson field when Frank Alessio ran for 337 yards.
- Watching the Hatchell brothers beat UNH in both 2006 games.
- Watching Steve Lemay's 102 yard interception for a TD against BU.
- Watching Ben Albert score a TD and beat Holy Cross 7-3 and end their long home win streak.
- Watching UMass beat Lehigh 27-21 in the first FCS playoff game at McGuirk since 1977.
- Watching UMass crush UConn 62-20 in 1999. UMass played everybody except the student managers.
UPDATE: Just purchased two Texas Tech tickets from the UMass Athletic Ticket office! An honorable mention favorite UMass memory would be the Kansas State game. UMass led 7-0 at the end of the first quarter and there were 60,000 very, very quiet Cats fans at the game.